Thursday, February 12, 2015

Why exercise, and staying active are so important

I have decided I will start off my blog with the basics. Why is exercise and staying active so important? We have all been told our whole lives that exercise is good for us, and to be healthy we need to stay active. I have always just believed Dr's, and all the millions of health care professionals out there (that are a million times starter than me), who say to maintain a healthy lifestyle long term, we need to stay active. But have you ever sat down and figured out why? Well... I did recently! Here is what I have come to know for my self personally in my journey to get fit.



Health Benefits: Our bodies are meant to move, they actually crave exercise like any other craving for an area we are deficient in. The health benefits of regular exercise and physical activity are hard to ignore. No matter what your weight is, exercising regularly boosts your good cholesterol, it keeps your blood flowing smoothly so you are at less risk for cardiovascular diseases. Remaining active can help prevent a huge range of health problems like type 2 diabetes, stroke, depression, cancer, arthritis, ect.

Weight loss: When you exercise, it promotes weight loss because it burns calories. If you burn more calories than you take in, then you loose weight. The harder you work, the more calories you burn. But this does not mean you have to set a side a huge chunk of time to exercise. If you don't feel that you can do an actual exercise program right now, then start making small changes in you life. Park at the back of the parking lot & walk into the story, take the stairs instead of the elevator, if you have a desk job try getting out of your chair and standing more during the day, if you are a stay at home parent you can try reeving up your house work a little. I personally like to blast my headphones and dance like a crazy person when I clean. You would be surprised how much of a workout you can really get from sliding around on your wood floors, or dancing and scrubbing your shower at the same time! :)

Efficient: When you exercise your body becomes much more efficient. Exercise improves your stamina and endurance by training your body to use less energy for the same amount of work. It carries oxygen and nutrients to your whole body, also helping it to work more effectively. The more you exercise, the faster your Heart and Breathing rate return to resting levels after strenuous activity.  Doing resistance training with weights and bands helps strengthen your muscles, ligaments, and bones.

It also helps with posture:

This is so brave of me, and I'm so nervous to put these pictures out into the world (no judging!) , but I wanted you to have a comparison. Look at my before (top) and after (bottom) pictures from a health challenge I did recently. Look at the difference in my posture! My back is straighter, my shoulders aren't slouched forward. I was shocked when I saw these pictures together & how big of a difference my weight loss had on my posture and form.

Flexibility: You become more flexible when exercising. Stretching, and improving your flexibility through exercise reduces your chance of injury. It also improves coordination and balance.

It makes you happier: First of all exercising releases endorphins into your brain that help reduce stress, improves your moods, and helps you sleep better. It also creates a great social outlet. Exercising with friends is one of the main reasons I have stuck to running 1/2 marathons. It's my time with my friends! You can also include your family in on it. I have noticed that my kids are more active, if I am more active. Find ways to incorporate your families into your physical activity, get off the couch and away form the TV. Go on hikes, bike rides, have your kids join you on a short run, practice whatever sports they are involved in. Spending more time having fun with your family, in my experience, always leaves me feeling so much better all around.

So GET ACTIVE!!! Find little ways to make changes in your every day life. I know from personal experience that I feel so much better the more active I am!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment