Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Hand sewing your quilt binding

To hand sew or machine sew your binding onto your quilt... that is the question of the day.  Now I am sure some of you normal people are thinking "why would you ever hand sew anything when you can just use a machine and get it done a lot faster." But then there are us crazies out in the world who hand sew all of our bindings onto our quilts.

(Okay... ignore my scary looking "toe thumb"!! Also yes, that is my steering wheel in my car. And no..  I wasn't driving when I took this picture. When you take the time to hand sew your bindings, you just have to fit that in whenever and wherever... like when you are waiting to pick up your 10 year old from her piano lesson. Don't you just love that fabric???) 

I don't know what it is, but I can't handle NOT hand sewing a binding onto a quilt. It's like a using a machine for this last step & finishing up the quilt is cheating or something. Or like it doesn't mean as much if you don't leave a little piece of yourself on that quilt. I know that spending hours cutting and sewing the whole quilt top all together is a little like leaving our "mark" on the world, but actually doing that last little bit by hand just makes the quilt feel complete & makes the world a better place! :)

I feel a little like the character "Frank Navasky" played by Greg Kinnear in the movie "You've Got Mail". You know how he's obsessed with type writers & and always freaking out about how the computer is going to ruin all of society... I'm a little like that about using a machine to sew your binding on. It's like using a sewing machine for everything is killing the past or something... I don't know... I am slightly crazy about sewing and fabric. :)  I just love the feel of the fabric on my fingers & cuddling up under my blanket while I am finishing it. We really do get to bond during this process! :)

But there is my 2 cents on sewing on your bindings! If you are in need of some binding advice, here is the tutorial that is my "go to" for bindings. I used to watch this all the time when I first started out & it was so helpful! :)

I am curious to know, how do you sew your bindings onto your quilts? And it's okay if you machine sew them..  we can still be friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment