Monday, April 13, 2015

Slow Cooker Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup

This weeks healthy recipe is Slow Cooker Cream of Chicken and Rice soup. Here is the link to that recipe.


I know I have been in a soup rut lately... but it's been chilly here in Utah on and off lately & I've been sick. So all I want to eat when I'm sick & it's cold outside is soup. But I am on the mend (I think...) and I promise my next recipe will NOT be soup!

I made a few changes to this recipe. First, I left out the corn starch & the milk at the end & it was actually really good with out them. The first time I made it, I left them out just by accident. I totally forgot to add them & didn't realize it until the next day.  So I have decided to always leave it out. It's healthier without them I think, and I have never missed them.  But if you want a creamier soup then you will definitely need to add them.  Second, I didn't chop up my chicken... I was slightly dis-organized and didn't think to take the chicken out of the freezer until I was reading the recipe and actually throwing everything into the crockpot to cook it. So I just stuck my chicken in frozen and shredded it right before I served it. Worked out great & cut down the prep time drastically! :)

This recipe is awesome for several reasons. First... it's total comfort food! It's the classic chicken and rice soup that you grew up eating when you were little and sick. It tastes so good & it really is good for your soul!!

Second awesome reason is, everything goes into the crockpot un-cooked, even the rice. And it just cooks all day.... hardly any prep. Just chopping up a few things & tossing everything into the crockpot and you are set for the day. Although the rice does use up most of the broth & I had to add 2 more cups of broth to get it to the right soup consistency before serving.

Third... everyone loved it!! Everyone had seconds!! Well, except for Carter... but that kid doesn't like anything but hotdogs & ham sandwiches.... he is the pickiest 5 year old on the planet!!  :)

This one is definitely one for the repeat recipe book.

No comments:

Post a Comment