Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My "paint strip" block.

So... I have posted several times, and I realized that I haven't posted anything about sewing? How can this be the "Sew Fit" blog with out any sewing going on? Part of the problem has been that there hasn't been time for sewing. You know how you have phases in your life, where sometimes you just have time to be crafty & creative, and sew amazing things, and then there are times when you can't even get the normal, every day things done let alone anything extra. So life right now is just one of those phases where I am bearly keeping my head above water with trying to get the bare minimum done. So not a lot of sewing is going on right now.

But I have joined a quilt guild, thanks to my mom. YAY!! :) So once a month we go to quilt guild and learn awesome things, and I get inspired and excited about making quilts. This past month the President of our quilt guild brought in a bunch of paint strip samples and had us all pick one out of a bag. Then we were challenged to go home and find fabrics that matched the different colors on our strip, and make a block out of it to bring in and show to everyone.

This was the strip I picked....



It worked out well for me because my Husband loves blues, and the more blue something is, the more he likes it. So I knew he would be happy with whatever I made.

Here are my fabric choices. I love being able to take cuts of fabric like this and make them into something awesome!! And of course I had to pick something with polkadots!! I am absolutely addicted to polkadots.... I have no desire to seek therapy for this addiction!!


I hopped on the internet and started browsing through websites, looking for a free quilt block pattern to make with my colors. My mom told me about this site called quilterscache.com. It has tons of free quilt block patterns. So after browsing around for a while, I came across this pattern. It's called The Card Trick.   It looked so fun, and it was actually really easy to figure out. This is how my block turned out.


(this is me showing my block at my quilt guild meeting)

I was so excited to see it all come together. The great thing is, is that I didn't have to un-pick ANYTHING while making this block. (virtual knuckles!)  I think this is one of the only times I've been able to sit down to a pattern for the first time, and not totally screw it up!! This either means that I am getting better at quilting, or this pattern is crazy easy. Either way, it was a huge quilting confidence boost!!

Oh, and the best part of all is that my husband LOVED this block, and he actually asked me to go and buy more fabric so I can make more of these, and make it into a quilt. What?!?! I know right... total quilters paradise when your husband is actually requesting that you spend $ on fabric!! "Um... yes, ablsoutely, I would love to go and buy more fabric, and ignore all the house work to make you a new quilt!" :)

Maybe one day, in a year or two, I will get this quilt finished and I can post about the actual finished product! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment